Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Filler...

I'm not even going to lie... I have no idea what this blog will be about until it's done. So let's just begin.

Tonight I spent most of it writing a letter to my half-brother who was recently let out of jail. Not that they 'gave us us free'; he's in a "transitional center". (Think possible ankle bracelet, but maybe that's just for house arrest.) Anyway, in the middle of writing the letter my girlfriend IM's me that Coretta Scott King has passed on. It is like someone cocking back and punching me in the chest.
Take a moment (of silence if you wish) and think about WHO she is. Dr. King didn't want to head the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. This means at some point she was probably talking him into being who he was. It's like they say "Behind every great man there is a great woman." She was not only 'behind' though (in both senses of the word) but she was also beside.
Definitely have to be strong when Klan members know where your live, want you dead, and your stance is non-violent protest. ... Yep.

So then I come back to my brother and wonder what his life would have been like if he had different people influencing his life. He was the smarter, stronger, more handsome brother. It makes you think about what your own life could have been like.

Anyway, I feel like we've (as a people) have literally lost a little bit of our strength with Mrs. King's passing. The media doesn't help and i see people following our image there religiously so where are we headed. It's like we should get a do-over right after Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's "The Message". Or maybe the Panthers. I dunno.

Let it marinate.
Peace.

No comments: